Friday, June 3, 2011

An Interview With Travis Warren

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Travis Warren, from bands such as Rain Fur Rent, The LookOut Kids, and of course, Blind Melon. Travis warned me ahead of time that his answers would probably not be as short as Dave Krusen's, and of course, that was fine by me! He answered my questions pretty quickly and I am excited to share with you what he had to say. Enjoy!


1) What bands/artists are your musical influences and why?

Well this is a tough question because I could be here all day but I will try and keep it as short as possible. As far as my voice goes,Buckingham/Nicks have been a huge influence
(Lindsey is also one my favorite guitar players). My mother
gave me the Buckingham/Nicks album for my birthday one year and I remember the first time I heard it,I had constant chills.The way Lindsey and Stevie harmonized together was very unique and special.They have a magical chemistry together that not too many have.Shannon Hoon of coarse was and has been a huge influence.I remember walking into a record shop(when we still had them: ) when I was about 12 or 13 and my pick came down to Jane's Addiction's "Ritual De Lo Habitual" and Blind Melon's first record.I went with Blind Melon.(on Cassette Tape).that tape didn't leave my Walkman or stereo for months(maybe years even).
I loved everything about it.I would try and sing like Shannon but I could only sing Falsetto back then.Anyone who
I grew up with or knows me well knows Ive been a huge Melon fan for years.I believe Shannon is one of the last REAL
"rock stars" we've had. Maynard Keenan,Staley/Cantrell,Bjork
Elliott Smith and Robert Plant to name just a few.
As far as my guitar playing goes,everyone from Buckingham
to Leo Kottke to Page to Dimebag to Malcom Young.
The list goes on and on.



2) I know that you were/are a huge fan of Blind Melon and Shannon Hoon.. how did you meet the guys and what was it like playing in a band that you were such a big fan of? Were you nervous?
I actually met them through a mutual friend that was
A&R over at Atlantic Records.He was interested in a band
I was in at the time. We were chatting one day and he asked me who my influences were and I mentioned Shannon Hoon.
He said he knew CT & Brad and asked if I wanted to meet
them.Obviously I said yes and the rest is history as they say.
The feeling is indescribable as far as playing with
Melon.I guess the best way to describe it is go and
watch Rock Star! I don't think it REALLY hit me until
months later when I was on the road with them.
Playing those songs on stage is one of the best
feelings I've ever had.
And yes I was nervous the first time I met them. I was
not as nervous when I rehearsed with them for the first time.
I was pretty confident with the songs.


3) Do you plan to eventually attend one of Shannon's vigils?

Ya know I've thought about it but every time it comes
around I've had something else going on around that time.
I actually turned some friends onto Blind Melon several
years ago and they got into them so much that they
went to the Vigil and had the chance
to meet Nell and took several
photo's of the event and brought them back for me.
I still have them.


4) What kinds of guitars are your favorite (brands)?

Well I've had MANY guitars throughout the years.
When I was younger,I would go to all the different pawn
shops in Amarillo and would buy and trade guitars all
the time.It would piss my Dad off.He would always
tell me to keep them and I naturally did the exact
opposite: ) As far as acoustics go,I'm a fan of Gibson
Hummingbirds.I have one and also a 1968 J-45.
I also have a Taylor,Leo Kottke signature 12 string
that I've had for years and is the main guitar I played
in Rain Fur Rent.
I bought a Gretsch baritone guitar
a few years back which has been the main instrument
I've been playing lately.It's the only instrument I use
in my new band, The LookOut Kids.I actually have a friend
back in Amarillo who is building me an acoustic baritone
which I can't wait to get my hands on.Look Out
coffee shops!!!

5) Do you play any other instruments besides the guitar?

Pretty much anything that has strings on it,I can play it.
My Dad is an amazing banjo player and he showed
me a few things on it when I was growing up.
My Aunt Debbie is an amazing
Mandolin player and she also showed me a few things.
I had instruments all around me growing up.I've also
become a decent drummer over the last couple of years.
I'm always wanting to learn how to play
new instruments when I can.
You can never stop learning and the day you think
you know it all is the day you don't know S%*T!


6) Do you do any special warm up routines to prepare your voice for a show?

My routines have changed over the years.When I was
younger I would warm up on jack & coke and what ever
else I could get my hands on.A few years back my
Mom(who is also a singer and a amazing one at that)
told me about taking Tabasco sauce and putting it on
lemon wedges.That will do the trick when your voice
is in bad shape. Now I drink hot tea and just sing
to warmup before shows.

7) How many musical projects are you currently involved in?

Currently my main focus has been the LookOut Kids which
has been nothing but a blast.Our mantra has been to
have fun and screw the politics.Sarah and I do not care
about the labels,getting signed or anything like that.
We just focus on writing good songs and having fun.
If something comes our way,we will deal with it then.
I also still record with my good friend Eli when we can
fit in the time.He actually has a killer band called the
"Wild Feathers" and they're doing great. I also
have a few shows with Blind Melon coming up this summer
which will be a blast.

8) A friend wanted me to ask you about your tattoos. How many do you have? Are those olives on your arm? Do you plan to add to your current tattoo collection?

If I would of known how "trendy" tattoos were going to
get I would of probably never got any.Now I see
grandmothers sporting butterflies on their ankles: {
I actually never counted but I have quite a bit.The first
one I ever got was when I was about 14.My best friend and
I took some acid and he attempted to tattoo my initials
on my back with a guitar string and Indian ink while I
attempted to tattoo a mushroom on my hand.
They both look like shit.The initials on my back look
like a blob and the mushroom on my hand looks like
a penis.Bottom line,don't tattoo when you're on acid; )
And no those are not olives on my wrists. They
are pyramids inside a circle.They have no symbolic
meaning.

9) I know that you are not a replacement for Shannon, but as a new addition to Blind Melon do you feel any pressure from fans to fill Shannon's shoes?

I actually did in the beginning but not so much now.
There is always going to be the fans who hate the idea
of having anyone "replacing" Shannon.No matter what
you throw at them,they are going to hate it.I actually
understand that mentality and to be honest, I probably
wouldn't of seen Melon perform with a new singer either.
I'm such a Shannon fan that I would of put up
a stink about it as well so I completely get it.
On the same token,there are many fans that didn't
get to see Blind Melon preform the first time around.
These shows that we play are for those people.Blind
Melon shows are a celebration of their songs and a
celebration of Shannon.Our shows give the chance
and opportunity for fans to get together and share
and have a great time. Not me or anyone could
ever replace Shannon,PERIOD. Nor do I try or want too.
I do try to sing his songs the best I can and to carry his
spirit to as many people as I can.

10) One day I mentioned to my friend that Blind Melon and Unified Theory should do a "Jam Cruise" type thing.. is that something you would be interested in doing? It seems that a BUNCH of us were very excited about the idea!

Anything is possible! You never know what lies ahead.
I would love to sing with Chris Shinn.I think he
is an amazing singer and It's something I would
definitely be into.

11) Where do you see your future going from here on out?

Well hopefully my future continues to go forward.hahaha
But regardless of that, I will always live,breath and play
music till I die.I don't know whether or not that is a
gift or a curse yet but it is what it is; ) In the last couple
of years I've learned that you have to love and have
fun with what you're doing no matter how big
(or little) the pay check is or whatever the situation is.
the day it isn't fun anymore,
you should find something else to fiddle cake with: )



Thank you soooo much, Travis! Incredible responses!

1 comment:

  1. People have had problems posting comments to my blogs lately.. so this is a test comment.

    ReplyDelete