Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Interview with Dave Krusen

Today the idea for my newest blog entry really excited me.. I decided to approach Dave Krusen of bands such as Pearl Jam, Unified Theory, and Lowlight. Dave and I have talked a little via Facebook in the past, so I was pretty confident he would be fine with this.. and of course he was.. Thanks again, Dave. Always a pleasure talking with you! Here is how it went:



Tonya Jo Smith May 31 at 10:53am
I was thinking about asking you a few questions, like a mini interview.. and with your permission, use it for my blog.. would that be ok with you? You dont have to answer anything you don't want to. :)
Dave Krusen May 31 at 12:06pm Report
sure, fire away
Tonya Jo Smith May 31 at 12:12pm
Thanks, Dave!

What was the reason for no longer being in Pearl Jam?

What was it like working with the Blind Melon guys?

On the same note, what was it like working with Chris Shinn?

Is there a chance of another Unified Theory reunion (fingers crossed)?

Did you have any lyrical input in any of your bands?

I see that your son also plays drums.. what age did he start?

Does your daughter also have musical talent? If so, in what area?

What are your current projects?

I know that Erica is involved in MusiCares.. how did she get started in that career?

If I think of more, I will shoot them to you! Thanks again!
Dave Krusen May 31 at 2:14pm Report
1. What was the reason for no longer being in Pearl Jam?

 I left PJ to go to rehab, i had a real bad drinking problem and was not able to function.

2. What was it like working with the Blind Melon guys?

 I have been working with Christopher Thorn and Brad Smith on various projects since 1994. I love working with those guys. We always end up goofing around and laughing our asses off 90% of the time, plus, we have a great musical chemistry.

3.On the same note, what was it like working with Chris Shinn?

  Chris Shinn is an amazing singer. He has a huge heart, one of the sweetest people i know. 

4. Is there a chance of another Unified Theory reunion (fingers crossed)?

There is always a chance UT will play again if we could arrange the time.

5. Did you have any lyrical input in any of your bands?

 I don't write lyrics because i wouldn't want to explain what a song is about. 

6. I see that your son also plays drums.. what age did he start?

 My son Jagger is 12 now, he has been playing drums his entire life. He goes to Rock Nation in L.A. and has played a few shows with groups put together by the school. He just started jamming with a kid his age who is very talented and has a band that has a lot of interest already and is playing a Warped show. They need a new drummer and just approached me about Jagger because they've heard through the grapevine that he's awesome. It's really fun for me to watch him progress. i've never pushed him, he works very hard on his own. He goes into the studio and woodsheds on his 9 piece kit (ala Keith Moon circa 1968) for hours, comes out drenched! He's taking lessons, learning how to read music, rudiments, all that good stuff. Now it's guitar too...

7. Does your daughter also have musical talent? If so, in what area?

My daughter Logan isn't into making music, but she has great taste in music. She's a really hip kid. Her thing is photography and art in general, she can draw extremely well. And she's a massive lover of all things equine.

8. What are your current projects?

Currently I am working with John Pringle, Lowlight, a bunch of cool recording projects, i can't think of everything right off the top of my head, and I am playing west coast shows with Ida Maria for the last two weeks of June. 

9. I know that Erica is involved in MusiCares.. how did she get started in that career?

Erica got involved with Musicares in 2006, i think. They love her there. She is director of the west coast. she's helped a lot of friends, people i've know over the years, it's really awesome. One of her territories is Hawaii, which is great. She's been a part of helping people all over the country though.

take care!- dk

No comments:

Post a Comment